For more info, contact:
Dr. Ji Chen
Director of Graduate Admissions
E-mail: jchen23 [at] central [dot] uh [dot] edu
E-mail: ece_grad_admit [at] uh [dot] edu
Prospective Graduate Students
Welcome prospective students. Please click on the following links to find more about the ECE admission process, courses and other information.
The application fee must be made through the official Texas online website. We are no longer accepting checks. Send an email to the Department of ECE if you cannot complete your application fee process online.
Categories of Students
There are numerous students who are interested in our department. Please determine your category and follow the guidelines stated to help with the admission process.
- Doctor of Philoshophy (PHD)
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE)
Master of Electrical Engineering (MEE)
- Industrial Power System
Interdisciplinary Program Description
- Master of Computer and Systems Engineering (MSCSE)
Non Degree Seeking
(not available for international students)
Non Degree Seeking Students (not available for international students)
The Non Degree Objective (NDO) program is for students who have graduated with an undergraduate degree and have missed the current deadline for submitting an application for graduate admission, or who would just like to take courses without a degree objective at the University of Houston for personal enrichment. Students are eligible for a maximum of six enrollment hours for the duration of this status. In order to take more than six hours, students will be required to officially apply to one of the graduate programs and join the Department of ECE as a graduate student. The procedure for entering this program is as follows:
1. Apply online to the ECE graduate program as an MEE student.
2. Notify the Department of ECE of your application status via email message with an identification number. The department will then change your application status from MEE to NDO for the desired semester.
3. Complete a permission form to request enrollment in ECE courses and attach an official transcript.
4. Attach a copy of your degree certificate if it is not posted on the undergraduate transcript.
5. Make sure the above documents reach the ECE Department not later than two weeks after the deadlines stated above for applying to the university.
If your undergraduate major is not in Electrical or Computer Engineering or an equivalent field, you will probably be required to take a series of undergraduate courses designed to prepare you for graduate work in ECE. These "leveling" courses will not count toward your graduate degree. Please consult the Leveling Courses document for more information or email a copy of the undergraduate transcript to the department's office of admission for review.
Transfer Credit Information
The student may transfer up to 6 hours of graduate-level work completed elsewhere to the study program at the University of Houston upon the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies. Six hours of graduate-level work completed while the student has been a Non Degree Objective (NDO) student at the University of Houston can also be transferred upon the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies. Courses in Technology programs cannot be transferred.
Cost of Living
For currrent on-campus room and board costs, please review http://www.uh.edu/housing/.
For a cost of living comparison, please use the websites below:
For students with inquiries about residency requirements, please review information available on the university's main web site: http://www.uh.edu/admissions/graduate/how-apply/residency-requirements