Cullen School of Engineering

For more info, contact:

Dr. Ji Chen
Director of Graduate Admissions
E-mail: ece_grad_admit [at] uh [dot] edu

Graduate Admissions
Phone: 713-743-4400
Fax: 713-743-4444
E-mail: ece_grad_admit [at] uh [dot] edu
(Email Preferred)


Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
N308 Engineering Building 1
Houston, Texas 77004-4005
Phone: 713-743-4400
Fax: 713-743-4444
Department: ece [at] egr [dot] uh [dot] edu
Campus Map
UH Parking & Routes
Google Map

Graduate FAQs

Printer-friendly versionSend by email
  1. Where can I obtain information and an application to your graduate program?
    All relevant information is at the dept. website.
  2. What documents are needed for admission?
    Please follow the appropriate checklist design for you on the dept. admission web site.
  3. Does the dept. have an application deadline?
    Yes, and it varies from semester to semester. Please note that the dept. has a different application deadline than the University.
  4. Does the dept. waive the application fee?
    The application fee will not be waived.
  5. How do I pay for my application fee if I could not pay on line?
    Send an email message to the graduate office, ece_grad_admit [at] uh [dot] edu, for further instructions.
  6. What happens if I do not submit my application to the dept. directly? Will I be penalized if the deadline has passed?
    Your application will be delivered by the University of Houston Office of Admissions at a later date than those applications that are mailed directly to the designated dept. The dept. will decide whether to accept your application or not on the basis of the date it was received by the University of Houston Office of Admissions.
  7. Is there a different application for financial consideration or assistantship?
    No additional application is needed. You will be contacted by the dept. when an assistantship is awarded.
  8. What is the institution code for UH so that ETS will report GRE and TOEFL scores? Is the dept. code needed? How long until the department receives my scores?
    The code for UH is 6870 and no dept code is needed since the University will be obtaining your scores. ETS will send your report of scores anywhere from 7 to 14 days. The timeline for the university to download your scores for the department to review them is anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. However, the department will accept student copy of scores during the application review process.
  9. What kind of GRE is needed for your program?
    General GRE exam.
  10. Can GRE or TOEFL exam be waived?
    The GRE must be taken by all interested applicants. For international or permanent resident students, the TOEFL exam is required unless you have an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution.
  11. What are the minimum GRE and TOEFL scores?
    Please review current requirements listed at the dept. website.
  12. Can a part of my previous GRE and current scores be combined?
    The dept. can only accept the most current test scores obtained.
  13. What should I do if I do not meet the minimum GRE or TOEFL scores required by the dept?
    You will have to retake your exams and reapply for admission. Notify the dept. that you will submit updated scores when completed.
  14. How do I find out about tuition and fee costs for your program?
    For estimated costs, please review the following web site,
  15. How do I check on my application status?
    Once the dept. has completed processing your application, you will be notified by email messages and will be given guidelines on future procedures.  You may also log in at
  16. How long does it usually take for the dept. to have a decision on my application?
    A decision for Fall admission is made in April - May for international students (F1) and June - July for US/Permanent residents.
    For Spring admission (US and other type of visa students), a decision is made in late November through the early part of December.
  17. Can I apply for a Ph.D. with only a bachelor's degree?
    Yes. Please refer to the dept. web site for more information on our Fast-Track Ph.D. program.
  18. Can I apply to more than one major at the same time?
    No. However, you may request your file to be transferred to the secondary major department for a review after receiving a decision from the primary dept.
  19. Can I apply to your graduate program with an undergraduate degree different than Engineering?
    Yes, that may be possible if your undergraduate degree is closely related to ECE (e.g., Physics). However, you should contact the dept. via email prior to submitting an application. Also, leveling courses may be assigned.
  20. May I submit my credentials for an evaluation prior to actually applying?
    The dept. will not conduct a pre-evaluation of credentials (other than suggested in question #19). However, you may wish to make contact with a potential advisor prior to formally applying.
  21. How do I contact the person in charge of the graduate admissions process?
    You can contact the dept. office of admission via email, at ece_grad_admit [at] uh [dot] edu. Also, the Director of Graduate Admissions is Prof. David R. Jackson (djackson [at] uh [dot] edu).
  22. How long does the department keep my file? May I request submitted information to be returned?
    Your file will be kept for one year. Contact the dept., via email, to obtain guidelines on how to update your file. Once documents are submitted to the dept., they will not be returned.
  23. Will I need to submit a new application and fee after one semester?
    Yes, together with updated versions of all documents needed.
  24. In the MS/PHD degree objective, one needs an advisor to be considered for admission. May I contact the faculty member prior to applying?
    Certainly do so. You should check our website to find out which faculty share your research interests prior to making contact. It is advisable, however, to have your application materials submitted prior to dept. deadlines.
  25. May I enroll as a Non Degree Objective (NDO) student?
    International students on F1 visa may not enroll as an NDO. Others may apply; however, admission requirements and deadlines are the same as for degree-seeking students.
  26. What kind of financial support is available?
    The Department offers Teaching Assistantships (TAs) and Research Assistantships (RAs). TAs assist in undergraduate laboratories, grade homework, and may assist with teaching classes. RAs assist an individual faculty member with their research projects. Obtaining financial support is highly competitive, and is exclusively reserved for students seeking a research-oriented degree, with preference for PhD candidates (fast-track or post-MS).
  27. How many courses/credit hours may I request for transfer from another institution once I have been approved for graduate admission?
    Students may request 2 courses/6 credit hours for transfer from another institution. Courses should have not been used to obtain a previous degree.
  28. How long is a master's degree program? What about Ph.D.?
    Ideally, both the thesis and non-thesis master's degree program should be completed in 2 years by students who enroll in 9 credit hours (3 courses) each fall and spring semester. The Ph.D. program has the same enrollment requirements as for masters students and typically requires 3 to 5 years provided that significant progress is made on the dissertation research topic.
  29. What are my chances for admission when my grades and/or scores are below the minimum guidelines?
    The department evaluates and determines a decision based on all submitted documents.
  30. Do I have to submit for another application fee if I have already paid during the on-line application process?
    You do not need to pay for application fee if you have paid and received confirmation of payment through your credit card. However, the Dept. may need for you to provide proof that a payment has been made.
  31. Once admitted, do I need to attend orientation?
    Orientation is mandatory for all graduate students. In attending, you will be advised and enrolled for courses as well as be introduced to dept. guidelines that will assist you in your years of study.
  32. What is DSTF?
    A Doctoral Student Tuition Fellowship that provides supported Ph.D students with reimbursement of resident and designated tuition charges. One of the requirements for receiving the fellowship is a student must be financially supported by the Dept. or college. In addition, there are other requirements that must be met as well. For more information, please click here
  33. What is a general petition?
    General petition is used when there are special circumstances that a currently enrolled student would like for the Dept. to review on a case by case basis.
  34. What is an academic stop?
    An academic stop is placed on a student's record when he/she does not follow the guidelines given by the Dept. over time or when the cumulative grade point average (GPA) is below the minimum requirement of 3.00.
  35. I was an undergraduate student at UH, must I attend the Academic Honesty seminar as a graduate student?
    All students regardless whether they graduated from UH or not must attend the seminar.
  36. Where can I find the number of enrollment hours needed for my degree objective (plan) each semester?
    Enrollment hours are provided in the degree curriculum guidelines. The information can also be found on the College web site and Dept. web site.
  37. Which deadlines should I follow since there are so many of them?
    The Dept. deadlines are crucial and should be followed so deadlines at the college and university's level can be met.
  38. Which guidelines should I follow when my advisor is a joint faculty?
    A student should first abide by the guidelines and instructions set forth by the enrolling Dept. (Dept. of your major).